Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Flee as a Bird

I've been reading, "For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms" by Jeffrey R. Holland. My sister gave me the book a few months ago. This book has had a real calming effect upon me. I really like the way it is laid out: very short chapters (a page and a half) each with thought-provoking messages that I can reflect on throughout the day. There are also beautiful, serene pictures throughout the book, all of which have the effect: "Ahh, take a breath."

One of the most recent chapters was from Psalm 11:1 that talks about putting our trust in the Lord. Some commentary suggests we automatically trust the Lord when we are in danger, perhaps this psalm inspires the action of fleeing to our mountain, our Lord for security.

I would like to directly quote Elder Holland's interpretation as it "spoke" to me.

 "Sometimes when life is complex and demanding we simply need to "get away." This is not to be confused with "run away," but it is to go --- physically, if possible, but in any case spiritually, mentally, and emotionally -- to a mountain or some other favorite place of renewal. Sometimes we need to fly like a bird, and in so doing find the freedom to regroup and renew.  Then we can return to the fray with stronger faith and greater hope, renewed vigor for the battle of life." (Holland 37) 

Elder Holland goes on to talk about how Jesus did this often. Crowds became too great. He would retreat to his beloved Galilee.

I loved reading these words because I have always considered my hometown as spot of earth that renews me. I love going up the hillside to the beautiful cemetery where my grandma and grandpa are buried:

I know there are better pictures than this - of this- but this one is special because my little Mosses were with me and took the picture and felt the peace of this special place.
 The final quotation in the chapter goes as follows:

"Life is demanding. Our days are complex. People's needs are great.  We are expected to fight the good fight. That is our purpose and duty. But to do so we need renewal physically, we need refreshment spiritually, and we need peace emotionally.  To do so we need time with God and ourselves.  We need solitude.  We need the strength that fleeing as a bird to our holy mountain will provide." (Holland 38)
Can you find the bird? Look closely.

4 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, thank you for sharing.
    Clifton is 100% renewal for me. The trip to Palmyra has affected me more than I was prepared for.
    Family tends to renew me as well.
    Is it because we return to our roots?
    Thanks for posting.
    (Both of which takes me back to that wonderful week in Clifton that I joined you on). I loved that week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa - what a beautiful comment. Palmyra has that effect doesn't it? I went back there thinking I was going to visit our parents and left with a much different experience. What a blessing. Bottle up that feeling forever if you can - right?
      That week in Clifton was special and fun. Can't wait to see you and the family soon.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of my own need to have a "Renewal". I don't have to take my journey quite as far, but I do get the same effect right here, down in my pasture. This is where I breathe in a little deeper and have poured out my heart to my loving Father in Heaven while on my knees many a time now. I think I will take a trip down there tomorrow :)
    I love how you put the Palmyra experience, "Bottle up that feeling forever". Palmyra was an amazing "Renewal" for me. My thoughts often go back there, kinda like a bit of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marci, your response is really neat. I like how you said you were going to go down to your pasture "tomorrow". While I walked through my Enchanted Forest this morning, I decided that is my daily renewal - I really love it in there.

      Delete