Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Very Near Kindred

While studying the missionary efforts of Alma in the Book of Mormon, I read of Amulek last night. Amulek was, as Elder Bednar detailed at the beginning of his most recent General Conference talk titled, "Meek and Lowly in Heart": 

Amulek was an industrious and prosperous man with many kindreds and friends.4 He described himself as a man who was called many times but would not hear, a man who knew the things of God but would not know.5 A basically good man, Amulek was distracted by worldly concerns much like the rich young man described in the New Testament. (Elder Bednar began his talk by talking about the rich young man unwilling to give up his riches to come unto Christ).

Amulek goes on to host (give water and shelter) to Alma, then subsequently becomes converted and a powerful missionary. 

While reading, I wondered what softened Amulek's heart enough to feel and allow for the thought of hosting Alma (thinking of modern day revelation of ministering from current prophet President Nelsen). I see in the scriptures that Amulek was visiting a very near kindred ("As I was journeying to see a very near kindred"). 

This detail of Amulek's heart being open to, essentially repentance, is valuable to me because I have seen good things come from visiting "near kindreds" in my own family. I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation which allows for the potential of the sons and daughters of God.

Being able to connect with "kindred" seems to be a sort of anchor/lifeline back to Heavenly Father. Family relationships and friendships in life are essential to helping me become who the Lord wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment